Reading Room Minutes – September 4th 2012

CONSTABLE BURTON READING ROOM

MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING – SEPTEMBER 4th 2012

Present: Cathy Ayers, Mike Phillipson, Hilda Dobson, Keith Manning, and Anna Corbett

 

Apologies: Stephen and Pam Allen, Liz Bell, and Stewart Ayers

 

Matters arising:

 

  • The Duck Race and Summer Fair was very successful and the sun shone for the one day! A number of visitors and children were welcomed. Philip Sedgwick had put a very pleasing report in the D and S , with an accompanying photo. Hilda was thanked for getting the Race organised in just three weeks and for her work in obtaining the many prizes. Some discussion followed on next year’s fair which should include more activities for children if there are enough volunteers on the day.

 

A donation of £10 will be made to Spennithorne School for the loan of the ducks.

 

Treasurers Report

 

The Treasurer reported a healthy income this month. The Coffee morning made £90.33. Hire of the Reading Room raised £7.50 and the Summer Fair £782.76. This exceeded the last few years. Expenses amounted to £35.36 for Yorkshire Water. The closing balance was £3,097.97.

 

Future Events

 

It was suggested that the Welcome Club might organise a Coffee morning on Saturday 15 September. Hilda will discuss with them. An Afternoon Tea will be held on Sunday 23 September – run by Cathy and others. Hilda and Anna will set it up on the Saturday. .

 

A Coffee morning will be held on Saturday October 13 – run by Hilda and another. It was decided to do one last Afternoon tea on Sunday October 21 – run by ? A Traditional Yorkshire Meal will be held on Friday 9 November.

Hilda suggested a Firework Display. A public display will probably require various legal requirements that we cannot fulfil. Anna will investigate.

 

Any other business

 

  • A water boiler (15 litres) will be ordered. It was agreed that serving teas and coffees with just the kettles is difficult. Anna will order it.
  • The lawnmover was leant to a member of the village and has been damaged. He will repair it. The mower will be serviced and back wheels replaced at a later date in time for next season.

 

  • Following Pam Allen’s accident on the slope on the Green and the problems many people have in reaching the Green, construction of steps was discussed. They would be similar to those leading to the beck. Anna will contact BTCV to see if they would provide labour, plan and cost it as before.

 

  • Anna asked if there was any progress with repairing the benches, but Rob Hall has not done anything so far.

 

  • Mike reported that the Penhill Painters exhibition had been well attended, both by the village and by visitors. He had put photos of the exhibition on line which had been viewed a number of times.

 

  • The photos of the Summer Fair will soon be available on line. Some members of the village don’t have individual access , but they can be shown in the Reading Room

 

 

Next Meeting

 

Tuesday 2 October

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.