CONSTABLE BURTON READING ROOM COMMITTEE
MINUTES OF MEETING _ TUESDAY OCTOBER 1st 2013
Anna, Stewart , Gareth Meadows, Keith, Jane.
- The afternoon tea on September 15th was cancelled .
- The planned meeting for September 2nd had to be cancelled in the absence of a quorum of members.
Treasurer’s reports were circulated. An itemised report dated 2nd September and a summery dated 1st October.
- These reports cover the period from August 7th to October 1st. this covers the Summer Fair/duck race- being the most important fund-raising event of the year.
This day alone made a record profit of over £1,200. This represents as much as 67% of the annual cost of maintaining and running of the Reading Room and puts our finances in a healthy condition, with a balance of £4,484.33.
- The only significant expense during this period was the £113.94 invoice from npower. – The Treasurer will complain with a view to getting it reduced.
The Committee thanked Keith for his very comprehensive reports.
Reading Room repairs:
- New dimmer lights have been installed. These will be very much appreciated at our evening events – giving the interior a warm comfortable ambiance.
- Stewart has completed the room by removing most of the old gas pipes, filling in the holes and painting. Thank you Stewart for doing this.
- Clive Leverton(electrician) is to be paid £495.33 – including the dimmers.
- We now hold the official MINOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION WORKS CERTIFICAT.
The Duck Race and Summer Fair:
- A huge ‘Thank you’ was given to everyone who helped and supported the village on this day, making this an extremely successful event. With everyone’s help and blessed with good weather -a good time was had by all.
- It was agreed to donate £120 to the Air ambulance.
- All the artists concerned with the pictures creation have agreed that it can be sold. The proceeds will go to buying an apple tree for the village Reading Room from The Pen Hill painters.
- All the names, bar one, have been traced. Anna is on the track of the last little girl in the photo and expects to be able to complete very soon.
- It is with deep regret that a letter of resignation was received on August 12th from Cathy. Cathy felt she needed to step off the committee for a while but has kindly offered to be available to still help with events, and remains a great support for the Reading Room.
- A letter sent by Anna Corbett dated August 18th regretfully accepted the resignation. Cathy was thanked for the many years work that she has put into promoting activities, organising events and acting as Chairman.
- The committee acknowledged and recognised Cathy’s dedication and hard work. Thank you Cathy.
- October 12th – Coffee morning –Anna and Jane.
- There will be no more teas until April/May.
- November 2nd – Halloween – from 6pm onwards – bring a dish and BYOB. There will be no charge for this event. – new flier for this event nearer the time ( Anna)
Request to give numbers to Hilda or Anna.
- October 18th 7pm- Talk – Hay Meadows presented by Don Gamble, Hay Time Project Manager Yorkshire Dale Millennium Trust.
Any other business:
- A matter has arisen for discussion leading to an apology for any upset or distress caused to any persons.
‘We regret that any comments made in an e-mail directed to members of the committee have been misinterpreted and therefore caused some offence.’
The Chair emphasised, that e-mails within the committee are a formal means of communication and should be worded appropriately.
- Oil is due – Anna to order 500l
DATE OF NEXT MEETING : TUESDAY 29th OCTOBER 7pm.