Reading Room Minutes – August 6th 2013

MINUTES OF THE MEETING 6 AUGUST 2013

Present: Anna, Cathy, Hilly, Mike, Stewart and Moira (acting Secretary)

Apologies: Keith and Jane

Matters arising:

Anna thanked everyone for all their help and support with the recent successful events. It was mentioned that the D&S had not advertised some fund raising dates.

Back to Africa presentation raised £244.00 of which £40 was gift aid. The money raised has been donated to Martin House. George thanked everyone for their support and it was a successful evening.

The 40s evening raised £110 altogether (including the raffle) They also had a ‘memories of 1940s’ chat rather than a quiz – an enjoyable night.

Treasurer’s report:

Keith was absent and his report will be emailed to the committee members.

Coming events:

Friday 6 September 7.30pm – repeat of the Back to Africa presentation

Saturday 7 September – Coffee morning Anna to organise

Sunday 15 September – Afternoon tea Anna and Hilly to organise

Duck Race:

There was an open meeting the previous evening to discuss planning and coordination of helpers.

Hilly is buyingt 500 ducks

Need to borrow the gazebo from the caravan park.

A donation will be made to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

Toilet roof and lighting:

The committee has received a grant from Richmondshire Communities Opportunities Fund for £2922.00 with a contribution of £300.00 from the Reading Room funds.

£462.00 is the cost for new wall lights. Clive Leverton who is the electrician is to be asked about the additional costing for fitting dimmer switches.

Two quotes were provided by Tim Moss and Tony Jackson for the work on the toilet roof. After a discussion is was decided to proceed with the quote from Tony Jackson at a cost of £2760.00 which includes a contingency sum to replace rotten trusses if necessary.

Queen’s portrait:

Anna is to finalise the decision with one of the artist who contributed to the portrait as to whether it can be sold.

Position of music centre and speakers:

It was decided to move them to the kitchen end of the hall. Need to look at the positioning with the possibility of building some corner shelving for the speakers.

There was a query over the safety of the corner bookshelf.

AOB:

Anna is to purchase a copy of the photograph of the last class intake at the school to display in the Reading Room.

Stewart will provide a quote for touching up the paintwork after the electrician has fitted the new lights.

Could as many of the committee as possible help to clear the weeds at the front of the Reading Room and clean the windows – Wednesday 14 August at 2pm.

Hilly asked if it was possible to replace the curtains. It was decided to look at funds after the Duck Race.

Cathy queried the updating of the broadband in the Reading Room with Mike who will investigate further to see if the reception can be made stronger.

Date of next meeting; Monday 2 September at 7pm

Addendum – the Queens portrait will be sold. The Penhill painters will donate the proceeds to the purchase of an apple tree – the first in the Reading Room orchard

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.