Reading Room Minutes – June 4th 2013

CONSTABLE BURTON READING ROOM

MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE MEETING JUNE 4 2013

Present: Anna Corbett, Cathy Ayers, Stewart Ayers, Keith Manning, Hilly Dobson and Mike Phillipson. Moira Bullen was also present as she had kindly offered to prepare the minutes until a Secretary was appointed

Matters arising:

The benches on the Green have been repaired by Derek with no charge on his time. To show their appreciation the committee have sent a thank you card and a gift.

Two bags of coal have been delivered at a cost of £32.00

Stewart was thanked for maintaining and mowing the grass in the car park. Gavin had recently strimmed and tidied the area and has been paid for his expenses.

The village tub plants have been renewed. The agreed sum of £40.00 has been spent on compost and plants. Cathy has asked for help with watering the pots and a rota was agreed at the meeting.

Treasurer’s Report:

There is very little activity to report since the last meeting. Income totalled £182, comprising £120 for room hire for the local elections, £25 for lending tables for a charity event, and £37 raised by the Book Sale. Meanwhile expenses amounted to £153.57, comprising £88.57 for timber for the benches on the Green (in due course we will receive £30 towards the cost of this repair from the Parish Council). Other payments included a thank you present, and payment to Gavin for strimming the grass in the car park, and two bags of coal.

Correspondence:

A thank you card has been received from Rita Terry for the use of the china for the Tulip Festival. A thank you letter was sent to Pam and Stephen in appreciation of their help and support on the Committee and wishing them good luck in their move to Durham.

Wall Lights:

Discussed the choice and position of the new wall lights. Anna is to ask the electrician for further details and this will be discussed at the next meeting.

Car Parking:

Ike, a village resident, would like to park his camper van in the car park. He has offered a donation towards the Reading Room funds. The proposal was accepted providing he will remove the vehicle when there is a function in the car park.

Richmondshire Community Halls Network Meeting 11 May:

Anna attended the meeting and it was interesting to discover the pros and cons of running a village hall. She suggested that all the external doors need draught proofing.

Queen’s Portrait:

Hilly has approached the owner of the Art Gallery in Leyburn and he is prepared to exhibit it and hopefully sell for around £200.00. All members of the Penhill Painters need to be approached for their approval.

Grant Application:

Applying for a grant of £3802.83 for repairs to the toilet roof and fitting of new wall lights. The Committee agreed to a contribution of £350.00 from the Reading Room funds. Anna needs two quotes from the buider and the electrician, the form has to be completed by 18 June to be in time for the next Community Fund meeting.

Coming Events:

Coffee mornings –

  • 8 June Anna to organise and provide chocolate brioche
  • 6 July Hilly will provide cakes
  • 3 August to be arranged by Mary.

 16 June afternoon tea –

  • Hilly will organise with the team of ladies.

 26 July 1940s evening – to be discussed at the next meeting, a possible barbecue or supper

 18 October Hay Meadow talk –

Anna has arranged for Don Gamble from the National Parks to give an evening talk

25 August Duck Race –

  • Mike will print out 500 tickets, Hilly to collect the ducks from Spennithorne School. Need 4 marshalls, tombola, cake and plant stalls. Discuss at the next meeting.

 AOB:

The surplus wood from repairing the bench has been given to Derek.

The Reading Room no longer has Broadband connection. Mike will sort this out.

Cathy thanked everyone who helped and supported her to raise £313.00 for the Blue Cross Charity.

Next Meeting:

Tuesday 2 July at 7p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.