STEERING GROUP MEETING 27TH JUNE 2017
The meeting was called to organise the running of events at the Village Summer Fair and to ensure sufficient helpers are available both prior and on the day.
Working through the items on the agenda provided by George:
1) Date of Summer Fair – It was decided the Fair would be held on Sunday 27th August. Comment was made that Fair had been held on a Monday several years ago and that the takings were nearly half of what was made when held on a Sunday.
Timings – 1pm start. 1st Duck Race 2.30pm, 2nd Duck Race 3.30pm. Prize giving 4pm.
2) Money raised – will be in aid of the Reading Room with a percentage donated to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
3) Volunteers responsibilities – volunteers will be responsible for the running of the event they are in charge of. They must organise the equipment needed and where applicable record any winners. If they are in any doubt please speak to either Hilly or Moira for advice.
4) Tent, hazard tape, strimming and bunting – The red tent will arrive on Saturday 26th at 10.30. John, Hilly and Chris will assist with erection. Hazard tape will be used where required, Hilly to supply. Stuart agreed to strim the grass on the beck bank sides in the 2 weeks prior to the day. Bunting to be erected on Saturday. The beck will be cleared on Saturday 19th, 9am start! Chris said he would help. Stuart said that caution is needed to any helper “new” to the beck as it is deep in areas and they should be with an experienced person.
Any other people who are available to help on Saturday 19th, Saturday 26th and on Sunday 27th would be most welcome.
5) Signs – Chris said he would help sort out the signs and both Chris and Hilly are to do the paintwork on them.
6) Prizes – the Smithy Race, 1st is £30 cash, 2nd is afternoon tea for 2 at Penleys and 3rd is Celebration boxed tea pot, Rinton’s Collectables. Children’s Wet Duck Race, 1st is a Family ticket for 4 at the Forbidden Corner, 2nd Toy from Wrey Brothers and 3rd Back to School Satchel (unisex). Tickets for the Duck Races are now being sold £2 for the Smithy Race and £1 for the Children’s Wet Duck.
7) Other prizes are to be sorted by the person actually running the event/stall. It was suggested a list could be left in the reading room of all the events and who is running them, each person could then “tick off” once their prize was organised? Chris kindly offered 3 hours DIY (gardening etc) as a prize.
Any other business:
Cathy is to ask Darcy to start the Duck Race and to also give out the prizes at the end of the day.
Kylie needs to know the names of the Scarecrows please so she can make up the trail paper.
For the helpers on Saturday and Sunday, Moira said she would arrange refreshments – tea, coffee and a bacon sarnie!
Tables and chairs to be put outside reading room (tables loaned Hilly, Gillian and Chris)
Bad weather – in the unfortunate event of bad weather does anyone have a large umbrella they could loan for the helpers on stands? Tony and George said they could, George also said he had a gazebo that could be used to shelter the BBQ if needed.
Trevor raised the subject of food quantities for the BBQ so as not to have too much waste at the end of the day. It was decided to buy 50 beef burgers, 50 sausages and 100 buns. Hilly orders these from Cambells as she has arranged a good discount with them.
Stuart said he felt there were not enough helpers on the beck for the duck races, the numbers were increased.
Stuart to let Hilly have the “start hooter” and ensure there is a new cylinder in it.
Moira would like a sign made for cake donation and tombola prize please – Chris said he would make.
Suggested a “bring your own” for the evening on the Green!
Cathy said that Kylie is organising a small family day on Monday 26th August, for any families in the village that are unable to come on Sunday, with a BBQ and the Scare Crow Trail. It was agreed therefore that the red tent be kept another day and returned on Tuesday. Cathy is to ask Kylie that the Scare Crow trail that she is organising be available on Sunday also.
Chris offered his time for DIY for anything that he can help with prior to the day.
Photographs – Mike Phillipson is to be asked to take photographs.
Prizes – an undertaking was given to ensure that all children should be able to go away with a prize.
Health and Safety:
i) It was confirmed that the village defibrillator is checked weekly and is in working order.
ii) Chris said that he would check the Reading Room’s liability insurance to ensure that activities on the Green are covered.
J.C. – June 2017
CONSTABLE BURTON VILLAGE FAIR 2017
ACTIVITIES AND VOLUNTEERS